Kazakhstan School of Public Health (KSPH) was established by Regulation of Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan #1142 from 21 July, 1997 in Almaty accordingly to Agreement between European Regional Bureau of WHO and Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan from 18 October, 1996. 18 November of 2000 School of Public Health was renamed to «High School of Public Health» (HSPH). The School was established with purpose of training and retraining of public health specialists, advanced training of chiefs of healthcare organs and organizations on issues of management, marketing, economy under conditions of healthcare reforming.
Uniqueness is attached to Kazakhstan school of public health by the fact, that it is rather autonomous and independent as it is not a part of any university, but is separate organization of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan, accomplishing postgraduate training and retraining of medical workers on various aspects of public health. It is one of the first institutions of such profile at the territory of NIS and only in Central-Asian Region (CAR).
Despite all difficulties and obvious barriers, after the lapse of rather big time period we may confidently verify that Kazakhstan School of Public Health could become leading training and research center, realizing a mission of providing new ideas, scientific knowledge and practical skills to chiefs of the medical organizations of all levels (republican, oblast, urban, rayon), to specialists of primary section of healthcare, to government officials of Kazakhstan and Central Asia. Current time KSPH fixedly holds leading positions in sphere of training on public health and conducting research studies in that sphere within the region.
Chronology of establishment and development of the KSPH:
- October, 1996 – Agreement between European Regional Bureau of WHO and Ministry of Healthof the Republic of Kazakhstan was signed (18 October, 1996).
- July, 1997 – School of Public Health (SPH) was established in Almaty (regulation of Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan from 21 July, 1997, #1142).
- March, 1999 – specialty «0413 – Public Health» was introduced (order of Ministry of Health, education and sport of the Republic of Kazakhstan, #121 from 5 March, 1999).
- July, 1999 – State standard and program of postgraduate training of specialists on specialty “Public health” was approved.
- November, 2000 – SPH was renamed to High school of public health (regulation of Government of Kazakhstan #1735, from 18 November, 2000).
- 2001 – Specialty «14.00.33 – Public health and healthcare» instead of early adopted «14.00.33 – Social hygiene and healthcare organization» was introduced into the list of scientific specialties.
- April, 2001 – there was opened Dissertation Council OD 09.19.02 on presentation of doctoral and candidate dissertations on specialty «14.00.33 – Public health and healthcare» in the KSPH.
- December, 2001 – for the first time in the republics of Central Asia was created independent Committee on ethics at the base of KSPH; its objective id expertise research projects, and also outcomes of research studies.
- July, 1999 – School actively collaborates with COHRED (Council on health research for development, Switzerland), which goal is coordination and support of health research. Rector, PhD, professor М. Kulzhanov was elected as Board member of COHRED; Dr B. Sarymsakova – regional coordinator on Central Asia.
- 22 January of 2002 School has got State license of series АА №0000608 for the right of conducting educational activity in area of postgraduate professional education; license permits to train specialists of high scientific-pedagogical qualification in postgraduate research and doctoral programs on specialty «14.00.33 – Public health and healthcare».
- June, 2002 – School is elected as member of Asian-Pacific Academic Consortium on Public Health (APACH).
- January, 2003 – School is elected as member of Association of Schools of Public Health of European Region (ASPHER).
- 2003 – was created Training Center on Food Safety.
- 19.05.2005 – State obligatory standard of education of the Republic of Kazakhstan #245 was approved by order of Ministry of Health, RK. Academic degree: “Master of medicine”. Specialty: “611101 – Medicine”
- 01.08.2005 – license #0008371 for the right of conducting educational activity on master programs
- October, 2012 KSPH passed the national certification of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- March, 2013 – became a member of Organization for PhD Education in Biomedicine and Health Sciences in the European System – ORPHEUS.
- 18.04.2013 – International accreditation of Master’s program in Public Health by Agency for Public Health Education Accreditation (APHEA).12.10.2012 KSPH has developed and implemented a quality management system in accordance with requirements of ISO 9001: 2008 quality standard.
- December, 2015 – Kazakhstan’s Medical University “KSPH” received the certificate of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan on accreditation as a subject of scientific and (or) scientific and technical activities.
- June, 2016 – The University passed Institutional accreditation by The Independent Kazakh agency for quality assurance in education and also passed specialized accreditation of educational programs 6М110100 – Medicine, 6М110200 – Public Health, 6D110200 – Public Health.November, 2013 – KSPH successfully passed certification on QMS by «SGS Kazakhstan Ltd» and received an international SAS certificate (Switzerland).
- January, 2017 – Recertification of the quality management system in accordance with the international standard ISO 9001: 2015 of the Kazakhstan’s Medical University “KSPH” by the international certification company – TQCSI (Kazakhstan)
- In accordance with the Government Decree of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated 31.03.2014 No. 280 the Republican State Enterprise “Kazakhstan’s School of Public Health” was transformed into “Kazakhstan’s Medical University “KSPH” LLP.
- September, 2017 – The University concluded an agreement with the National Institute of Oncology (Budapest, Hungary)
- 23 July 2018 – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed by the International Medical University of Malaysia as well as the International Medical College of Malaysia with the Kazakh National Medical University named after S.D. Asfendiyarov, “Kazakhstan’s Medical University “KSPH” LLP and “Educational Clinical Center” LLP of Astana, in order to develop international cooperation in the field of science and education.